WeROC began working this summer with our affiliated organization in the Metro area, MOSES, on an ongoing regional “prosecutorial accountability” campaign in Washtenaw County as well as in Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb Counties. We’re calling it the “Justice Matters” campaign and are working together in real time in parallel with the massive racial justice activism nationally and in Michigan.
Steps we’ve taken together so far include:
- Facebook Live interviews with candidates for County Prosecutor/District Attorney ahead of the August Primary.
- A joint virtual Townhall to get commitments from candidates. (Watch the video here.)
- A Teach-In to expand the number of us who have a better sense of the role of prosecutor.
- A virtual meeting with Prosecutor-elect Eli Savit to go deeper into how he plans to be a part of quickly implementing real, major changes toward racially just policing, prosecution, and judging as he takes office next year. (Watch the video here with passcode G#hcfMi5 .)
Check here for developments and opportunities in the timely and powerful grassroots campaign.
We also encourage WeROC supporters to participate in this upcoming panel discussion:
Reframing Criminal Justice
Tuesday October 20, 2020: 7:00pm to 8:00pm
Zoom visit https://aadl.org/mcsp for Zoom information
Join the Michigan Community Scholars Program and members of the community in a panel discussion about criminal justice in Washtenaw County. We’ll use Bryan Stevenson’s TED Talk: “We Need to Talk about an Injustice” as a springboard for the conversation.
- The Rev. Jeffery Harrold, Senior Pastor, New Beginnings Community Church of Washtenaw County
- State Senator Jeff Irwin, Michigan’s 18th District
- Eli Savit, incoming Prosecuting Attorney, Washtenaw County
- Dephia Simpson, Chief Public Defender, Washtenaw County
- Alma Wheeler Smith, Citizens for Racial Equity in Washtenaw
This event is sponsored by the Michigan Community Scholars Program and the Ann Arbor District Library
Please check back on the day of the event for the Zoom link and phone number.
Read the CREW report.
Listen to a Stateside radio interview with CREW co-chair Alma Wheeler Smith and Washtenaw County Prosecutor-elect Eli Savit.