WeROC Meeting of the Whole,
Thursday April 7, 5:30-7:15 pm,
First Congregational UCC,
218 N. Adams in Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Next Thursday, we’ll spend most of the time breaking into the Action Teams; the Team Chairs are planning agendas to move ideas that have followed the big Public Meeting last November into the kind of grassroots action that is WeROC’s trademark.
Action Opportunity: Call your State Representative to support major education bill
On Tuesday March 22, the Michigan Senate took a huge step forward for Detroit students – DPS, EAA, and charter – and families when they passed SB 711 and 710. These bills include:
1. An elected, empowered DPS school board by August
2. The state will pay the DPS debt ($515M) and provide $200M to stabilize the system
3. The creation of a new public, citywide entity, the Detroit Education Commission, to coordinate charters and DPS for the good of neighborhoods and families
4. EAA schools return to DPS.
Please call your State Legislator as soon as possible. These calls are quick and easy, and because people are calling at the same time, your impact is multiplied. Read below what the decent bill that the Senate passed says, and then call your representative (find their number here). When you call, just follow the script below:
1) I am a resident of your district (and a parent / student / teacher if applicable)
2) I urge the representative to stand with Detroit students by voting YES on the “Return to Excellence” Detroit schools package, House Bills 710 and 711, exactly as it passed through the Senate!
3) Thank you in advance.
If you have any question, contact Tad Wysor at firstname.lastname@example.org.